5.29.2013

Reflection: Memorial Day

 
 
Our local ballpark did a neat memorial day celebration of sorts which touched my heart and got me thinking. There was a moment of silence, and then they had a group of Patriot Riders come out on the field including a WWII vet, which was so neat. I love the Patriot Riders and the service they provide out of their sense of duty and the kindness of their hearts to fallen soldiers and their families. They honored active and retired servicemen and women, and asked active servicemen to stand up so we could honor them and show our appreciation.

My sweet husband stood up, and I had to blink back tears. I couldn't be more proud of him and his sense of honor and duty. This is my first Memorial day as the wife of a soldier, one who will be deployed by the end of the year no less. The 'holiday' took on a completely new meaning for me, this weekend used to be a lake weekend or the weekend that the neighborhood pool opened up for the first time. But now it's different, I understand, my heart goes out to all those who have lost their spouses, siblings parents, and friends in the line of duty. My heart breaks with you. And my anxious heart worries selfishly for my own serviceman, it worries about what future Memorial Days will mean to me. But then I remember that is not a road I need to let my heart and mind go down. There is no sense in worrying about what I cannot control. I have to have faith, and enjoy every second I have with my soldier over the next six months.




 

0 comments: